Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tarina Tarantino Dollskin Cheek in Neapolitan Lane

Tarina Tarantino designs costume jewelry, most of which is "young" and cutsey - not my style. I wrote an unflattering introduction to her makeup line in 2009, when it was first introduced. Here's what I wrote then.

I must be culturally deprived. I didn't know that Tarina Tarantino is considered the "Queen of Irreverent Luxury." I first read it as "irrelevant." Sephora says she has brought her passion for self-expression and playfulness to her new cosmetic collection.

Because of Tarantino's jewelry and assumed target customers, I was never "inspired" to try Tarina Tarantino's makeup - that is until reader Eileen commented on a Friday Forum recently. I think Eileen and I share the same makeup loves, so with her stamp of approval, I ordered a few Tarina Tarantino pieces that I'll be showing you over the coming days.

Before I tell you about Dollskin Cheek, please read the enticing comment Eileen left on the Friday Forum.

Now, on to my splurge of the week: Tarina Tarantino. Yes, she of the hot-pink hair and pink crystals on everything! When her line first launched a few years ago, I gave it a miss because the packaging was just too cutesy and adolescent for me. But now, she has revamped her packaging and really upped her product quality. Last week I was given her Jewel Shade Eye Palette in "Dreamy" as a thank you gift. Not only was I happy with the new packaging, I was absolutely bowled over by the extraordinary quality of this set of five beautifully crafted, color-coordinated eye shadows. The pigment rich shades contain ultra-fine pearl and diamond powders in a finely milled, moisturizing, long-wearing base. They apply color true and remain so throughout the day. They also blend like a dream without becoming muddy and have the creamiest and most velvety smooth texture you can imagine. High-end brands, eat your heart out! Needless to say, I went in search of more TT goodness.

Eager to give Tarantino a second chance (actually a first chance), I browsed Sephora online and ordered. Among my first purchases was Dollskin Cheek ($25), a collection of smooth-textured, high-definition blushes. I read that the micronized, high-definition powder features a silky, blendable, and buildable texture that imparts a natural glow to the complexion. It offers true-color payoff that wears well for my entire work day.

"I love blush, and feel that no makeup look is complete without it. As a makeup artist, I was constantly searching for the perfect range of blush colors to give cheeks a sweet, romantic flush. I usually had to mix several to create the effect I wanted. Now I have created the perfect collection of complimentary blush shades for every skin tone. The highly pigmented formulation means a little goes a long way and provides a long-wearing finish." - Tarina Tarantino

When I placed my order, I agonized over which of the five Dollskin Cheek shades I'd order. Fearing the pinks (would they be too young and sparkly?), I selected a safe nude. Neapolitan Lane is described perfectly as a muted pink beige. I was amazed when it arrived. I like it very much, so much that I'm planning to order a second shade, Charm (medium rose) sometime soon.

Let's start with the compacts: sleek, oval, and gun-metal grey, with a substantial feel in the hand and a nice mirror inside - not cheesy at all. I wouldn't hesitate to pull one out of my handbag. Inside, I found a generous "helping" of Dollskin Cheek powder blush, which is matte and natural on the skin. What a surprise that it isn't sparkly!

For my swatch photos, I applied Neapolitan Lane ridiculously heavily, sometimes the only good way to get enough color for photos. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply a very heavy band of color at the top of my arm, and I applied it heavily with a dense blush brush for the swatch below. I wanted to ensure you could see the hue.

Shockingly, Neapolitan Lane is in competition to be one the best "nude" blush shades I own. It's enormously flattering on my cheeks, adding natural-looking color that applies as a wash of color. I can build the intensity, depending on how pale I appear on any given day. I've worn this shade equally successfully with and without foundation. Its slight pink tone ensures that it doesn't look muddy, as some nude blushes can look on me.

I'm smitten. I'll tell you in advance that I love everything I purchased from the Tarina Tarantino line. I've learned a lesson too: I shouldn't be such a makeup snob. Stay tuned for future installments about my newest makeup discovery, thanks to Eileen.

If you'd like to try Tarina Tarantino, it's exclusive to Sephora. I probably selected the most age-appropriate shades (Sparklicity Pure did not appeal to me), and I don't need a fuchsia brush set. I'm thrilled with the items I chose.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

15 comments:

Leticia said...

That really does flatter your skin tone. I might swatch this in store to see if it works for me.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leticia!

Even if this shade doesn't work for you (might be too light), I'll bet there will be a shade you like.

Larie said...

I always gave her products a pass because of the packaging, as well, but I also recently bought one of the eye palettes and so far, I am impressed! I have an eye on the blushes, as well :) This is a lovely color, very neutral and flattering.

Eileen said...

I'm so pleased you like what you got. Tarina Tarantino--who'd a thunk it? :-)

Anonymous said...

I adore her products! DId you get a lipstick too? They are really great. As are the eyeliners. And my favourite blush is Parasol.

Evelyn said...

Funny you should mention Tarina because I'd also kind of ignored her b/c the packaging was a bit over the top. Lo and behold as part of my pre-Valentine's Day gift to myself I bought a Tarina Eye Dream Highlight Duo in moon opal/iris plume. So pretty! Now I will be sure to check out her blushes too. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Larie,

A year ago, I would have laughed if you had asked me if I was wearing any Tarina Tarantino makeup. Hello Kitty, anyone? Now, I'm reformed.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Eileen. You were the inspiration. I can't wait to show everyone the rest of my purchase!

Charlestongirl said...

Tracy, not yet. Do you have a shade you'd recommend?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn,

I couldn't find an eye shadow palette that appealed to me online. I was extremely satisfied with the things I did buy. I know Eileen was smitten with the eye shadows.

Evelyn said...

I draw the line now at Tokidoki and Hello Kitty. I still think Hello Kitty is cute but not for my makeup!

Charlestongirl said...

Evelyn, two pre-teen lines for sure! :)

Crista said...

I love this blush!!! Such a gorgeous color and good color payoff. I too scoffed at Tarina's line when it was first out. I have a handful of products now that I use - the Conditioning Lip Sheens are really nice.

Charlestongirl said...

Crista, I was wondering about those lip conditioners. I think there's one in my future. Thanks!

Crista said...

I love being an enabler :)