Monday, February 7, 2011

Shu Uemura Shine Mystique Eye Color in Khaki Silver for Spring 2011

Steady my heart, Shu Uemura's Shine Mystique Eye Color in Khaki Silver ($30) is exquisite! Introduced for spring, it's a loose powder eye color with extraordinary shine and outstanding color, described by Shu Uemura as a complex mix of olive/khaki and silver. I'm not a fan of loose pigments, but I adore this one. The color is stunning.

I was so smitten with the color, shown in the photo at top left from the Shu Uemura Web site, that I ordered a loose powder shadow - something I seldom do. The moment I opened the shadow, I knew I had made a good decision. The color looks great on me (she says humbly), and it's going to look good on most of you. It's one of those colors everyone can wear.

What you see when you open the pot is a convenient inner cap with a narrow opening that controls the flow of the powder - nice for messy gals like me. I plan to leave it on.

My swatch photos (taken indoors in sunlight) at left and below show how complex - and gorgeous - the shade is. To my eye, it's a shimmering combination of khaki, gold, and silver, with a hint of brown. I am showing you two photos so that you can see all the nuances of the shade. Note that there's a difference in the tone of my arm in the two shots. For each, I applied the powder with a sponge-tipped applicator, probably not the best way to apply it evenly on the eyelid, but that method works well for swatch photos. The powder adheres nicely to my skin, without fallout.

Shu Uemura pays attention to details. I should have mentioned this morning that the company puts a nice little "handle" on each of its boxes. Makeup items usually come in individual boxes, and sometimes it's hard to pull open the top without a letter opener or something to pry up the envelope-like lid. Shu Uemura puts a little gizmo that sticks out at the top of each box, making opening it a snap. Little details can be exciting. When added to incredible makeup, the whole experience is a joy.

Give this one a look. You can find it at Shu Uemura's Web site. I love it!

14 comments:

Pink Sith said...

Oh my. That is beautiful! I might *NEED* this one!

Charlestongirl said...

Everyone needs this one, Elvira. :)

For taupe and khaki lovers, it's nirvana.

BroncoMom said...

Beautiful color indeed. I will add this to my must have list!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi BroncoMom!

I can't figure out why it hasn't had more coverage. So pretty!

Eileen said...

What a gorgeous color. I best get out my Pixie Epoxy and put my order in for this stunning shade. I assume this will wear better when properly anchored to the lid. For those who aren't familiar with Pixie Epoxy, it is made by Fyrinnea and was created specifically for loose pigments that have a lot of sparkle/glitter. The tiniest bit will insure that the "fairy dust" stays on your lids and doesn't end up on you cheeks. There are other fixatives out there; this just happens to be a great one.

Polarbelle said...

Me likey!! That's going on the wish list.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen, I need to dig out my Le Métier de Beauté Magic Lustre and see what that does to it.

I haven't used Pixie Epoxy. Is it the same type of product?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Polarbelle,

This belongs on a lot of wish lists. :) Just trying to get the word out!

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl, Pixie Epoxy is a great clear, gel base. You just put a very, very tiny bit on the eyelid, let it set a few seconds, then apply the pigments. It can't be mixed with shadows or other powders to form cream products the way LMdB can. It is much more limited in scope, but what it does, it does supremely well. It holds pigments in place and enhances their color and sparkle until you take them off. It's just a different type of product. I have both, but for my loose pigments, I prefer Pixie Epoxy.

Another plus to PP is that it is dirt cheap. More than you can use in a lifetime only costs about $7-$8. Shipping is also a bargain--anywhere in the US for under $3.00 and international for just a bit more. You can order full size products or sample sizes for just a couple of bucks each. Believe me, it's very easy to get carried away. I have colors (all sample sizes) that put the rainbow to shame.

All of Fyrinnea's products are vegan and not tested on animals. I think that probably every loose pigment aficionado is familiar with them. Fyrinnea is one of those funky, little independent companies that has quite a cult following. Their website is a treat--when it's up and running. It's closed right now for "maintenance", but should be back up again soon. Oh, and sometimes the site will state that there is a wait time--especially around Halloween--but usually the order will arrive well before the stated time. Fyrinnea is a great little company that deserves lots of love.

I didn't mean to sound like a PA for Fyrinnea, but you did ask. :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Now I want that, Eileen! Thank you.

Win said...

wow. what a gorgeous color

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Winyan,

It's even better in person!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My friend brought me this cute little thing from her trip in HK! I love the color and the container is just so cute. Any suggestions on how to wear it in combo with eye shadows that you have in your collection?

Best regards to your Physical therapy.

Daisy ( a physical therapist in the Bay area, CA ) :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Daisy! I have a whole new respect for physical therapists! Mine is great, and I am improving. Not without some pain, but that's OK. Many years ago, I had gone to PT and got nothing out of it. My PT now uses completely different techniques.

I would keep my base shade simple with this shade. It's fine to have a little shimmer in it, but a tone that opens your eyes would be perfect. Maybe the beige or peach family? Pink tones work too.

You can also use Khaki Silver alone by covering the lid below the crease for a little drama. Use a lot of mascara. Try UD Stash 24/7 liner or an equivalent khaki shade.