Thursday, January 27, 2011

Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm

Clinique's new Chubby Sticks are fabulous! A friend who knows me really well gave me one for Christmas. I love it! Now I want more Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balms ($15)! The price is right too - I can have more without overbuying guilt.

These super-nourishing balm sticks are loaded with mango and shea butters. Just what my dry, delicate lips need to feel comfortably soft and smooth. There are eight natural-looking lip colors, each with a subtle sheen. I've checked out the colors I don't have on the Clinique Web site, and I think I need several more. I'm also hoping Clinique adds to the line with more colors as the popularity of the Chubby Sticks grows.

The color my friend gave me is #06 Woppin' Watermelon. While it looks dark in the swatch on the Web site, it's a pretty light pink on my lips. You can see in my swatch photo at right how sheer the color is. My photo was taken indoors in direct light.

The application is quick and easy. The creamy, thick pencil glides across my lips with no drag, leaving color and moisture behind. There is no taste, and there is no discernible fragrance - just a pretty, natural tint that's flattering - and looks like my own.

I want to see Graped Up and Super Strawberry next. There's no question I will get more Chubby Sticks!

You can find Clinique's Chubby Sticks at Clinique counters everywhere and at Clinique's Web site.

Photo at top courtesy of Clinique

8 comments:

Eileen said...

Woopin' Watermelon? Gotta love it with a name like that :-) I haven't tried these yet, but I'll have to take a look when I'm at the mall. They sound like something you can just grab and go--great for summer.

I think the trend towards sheer, more moisturizing formulas is a godsend for those of us with perennially dry lips. The opaque, long-wear formulas--although beautiful--are always so much work for me: exfoliate flakes, moisturize, apply lip balm (Jack Black is my favorite), apply lipstick, apply just a bit of gloss. Ugh! I guess that's why my day-to-day reality is that I'm more of a gloss kind of gal even though it means frequent application. But, with so many beautiful hybrid lipstick-glosses coming out, I can foresee my lipstick collection expanding. I just bought one of Guerlain's new Rouge G Série Noire lipsticks in a sheer fuchsia that is gorgeous with the new eye palette Rue de Rivoli. There are a couple others I want, but I'm waiting until I have my make-up done by the visiting MA next week. That's sure to affect my decision re: color.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Cute, huh? These are very cool for us swipe-n-go gals. Like you, I prefer sheer lip colors, including gloss and the new-ish hybrids. These Chubby Sticks are perfect for throwing in your bag for a quick dose of moisture and color.

Have you tried the Guerlain KissKiss lipsticks? I adore them!

Soni said...

Hi Girls!

Funny you did your review of these today. I JUST bought 2 of them on Tuesday night. (Cherry & Grape) Took Grape with me to Disneyland yesterday and it was perfect!! I want Mango & Strawberry next. These really are convenient and such lovely sheer colors too.

Eileen - I JUST discovered Jack Black balm and treated myself at Christmas time to 3 different "flavors". They truly are amazing! (better than Fresh brand IMHO)
I can't wait for the new Chanel Rouge Coco sheers. I'm chompin' at the bit!
Have a lovely day ladies!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Soni!

Did you see I bought Laura Mercier Peony at your recommendation?

I purchased Graped Up today - plus Fuller Fig and Super Strawberry (from two sources - Super Strawberry had sold out at Neiman Marcus). It's love!

We are all chomping at the bit for Rouge Coco Shine! I am supposed to be on the pre-sale list at Nordstrom. Have to confirm that.

Anonymous said...

is the Chubby Stick in Woopin' Watermelon similar in color to the Armani 518 shade?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

The shades are similar, but the Rouge d'Armani has more pigment. The Chubby Sticks are very sheer - they are like tinted balm.

The Sooj said...

The name is just too cute, a Chubby Stick!

Charlestongirl said...

Saint Jean,

The sticks are as darling as their name - fat, luscious lip colors!