Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Shu Uemura Art of Hair Ample Angora Volumizing Light Foam

Last week, I ordered a new hair product - totally an impulse purchase - while I was ordering the highly praised Essence Absolue from Shu Uemura Art of Hair. Ample Angora Volumizing Light Foam ($33) looked interesting. I always need something to add volume to my flat, fine hair, and I was game to try a new potion. I'm happy to report that it works - really well!

While I had used it before today, today gave it the ultimate test. It was destined to be a bad hair day. It rained overnight, and this morning the ground and air were saturated with water. That usually means hair style death to me. On top of that, it was windy. I expected to look something like a bedraggled puppy by the time I got into my office. Ample Angora saved me! Literally. My style withstood the elements, and it looked no different than it did when I had finished blow drying. My hair had volume, my bob was intact, and my hair had movement and shine. How much more can you ask?

On Shu Uemura's Art of Hair Web site, I had read that it has a green floral fragrance enveloped in lily of the valley. If you read my lily of the valley fragrance post last weekend, you will know that I love that scent! I was hooked on the description, even though I am not a fan of scented hair products. I'm not at all disappointed to tell you that the fragrance is nondescript. The mousse has almost no fragrance, and what little it had was gone in a flash. That's fine. I can add my florals with perfume.

Ample Angora is enriched with Japanese cedar bud, known for fortifying properties. It promised to offer volume as ample and silky as angora. It also said it would offer medium hold to my fine hair without crunchiness, leaving it nicely soft. It met its promises - and then some.

It's definitely a lightweight mousse in texture. When I pushed down on its applicator the first time, I got what I feared was too much - a big pouf of airy mousse. I spread it across both hands, lightly ran it through my hair, and then combed and styled as I always do (including the obligatory "head upside down" part of the routine for volume). When I finished, I could feel virtually no trace of "product" left. It was nicely integrated into my hair. What I did have was volume, and I've had it each time I've used it, which brings me back to today. For full disclosure, I need to tell you I used Pureology hair spray, but I always use spray to finish. It doesn't always help me fend off weather disasters.

I am home from work, and if I may say so, my hair looks pretty darn good. It's got volume and bounce, and it was destined to be a bad hair day. I'm happy with my impulse purchase! If you are looking for a new hair product, give this one a try. I think it's a keeper!

You can purchase Shu Uemura Art of Hair products at the Web site. You can also use the company's locator for a salon near you. My only criticism? Their Web site is a little slow and annoying (probably because of the razzle-dazzle), and navigation isn't entirely intuitive. Small price to pay to find a keeper.

Photo courtesy of Shu Uemura Art of Hair

5 comments:

Jules said...

oooh! I want to try this!

Charlestongirl said...

Tell everyone you know, Jules! Someone will surprise you someday.

zeitersouth said...

I have been on the hunt for a good volumizing mousse. I will have to try this one!

Fab Over 40 said...

Now I really can't wait to try this. I'm glad it works!

Charlestongirl said...

I am loving it. Hope you two do too! I'm just marveling at the body in my hair.