Monday, November 23, 2009

La Mer's Addictive The Concentrate

I have an expensive addiction. It's one I can't break. Like most addicts, though, I don't really want to break it. I want to savor it, every last drop of it.

La Mer's The Concentrate ($350) is my addiction. It's a part of my life now. I attribute many good things about my appearance to The Concentrate. And whether my younger-than-I-really-am skin is a result of La Mer, my genes, or the other products I use, I won't take the chance to find out.

Billed as "a revolutionary treatment that complements skin's natural healing process," The Concentrate is a serum that envelopes the skin in moisture. From everything I read, it's intended for skin that needs to heal - from something like cosmetic surgery, sunburn, scarring, or other assault. Read the directions from La Mer.

To complement skin's natural healing process and improve the appearance of scars, thoroughly massage onto affected area at least twice per day.

La Mer reps want me to use The Lifting Face Serum ($315), whether I need "lifting" or not. That's the much-loved La Mer serum, targeted at people over 40. I have friends (men and women who aren't sagging) who swear by it. I've tried the silky lifting elixir, and I like it. No complaints! But I don't need two serums each morning, and I'm addicted - so I stick with my first love.

The Concentrate is a thick liquid. It comes with an applicator that stays dipped into the bottle so that users can "withdraw" just the right amount for the face and neck. A little of the liquid goes a long way, spreading comfortably over my skin. Once I have applied The Concentrate, I need less Crème de la Mer ($230) or other moisturizer. My thirsty skin slurps the first product that goes on, so The Concentrate is its first drink of the morning after a light cleansing.

Many will say that La Mer isn't the most advanced, up-to-date product on the market. I've heard it all - no hyaluronic acid, no antioxidants, no peptides, and so on. Perhaps, but I use a multi-layered cocktail twice a day to get all the cosmeceuticals I need, while staying true to The Concentrate most mornings. I've tried to go without it, but after a few weeks, my skin shouts, "DRY!"

Right now, I am finishing up a bottle. The applicator no longer reaches the product. That's OK. I'm adept at reaching my finger into the bottle to get the last remaining product out before the bottle is recycled. I have my next full bottle ready to go. I try to purchase The Concentrate when Saks is having Friends & Family or at some other fabulous event with a discount. Every dollar saved allows me to continue my addiction!

You can purchase The Concentrate at La Mer's Web site, Saks, Neiman Marcus, and a few other sources. There is usually a freebie or two with purchase at La Mer online, and Saks often has gifts with purchase. You can usually talk a friendly La Mer rep out of a sample of something when you buy. They know how addictive their products are!

Photo courtesy of La Mer

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting -- as I *tried* to acquire an addiction to La Mer. I've purchased their moisturizer... and it was fine. Smelled lovely, nice texture...but, for whatever reason, I didn't see any huge difference in my skin -- despite obsessive nightly use. So, really, I have been thinking about branching out and trying another one of their products -- hoping that it did work the miracles other friends of mine swear it does do. Look like I need to give the concentrate a shot! That was a pretty convincing review. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Samples of The Concentrate are hard to come by (lifting serum is easier). I'll see if I can lay my hands on a sample for you. It's a huge investment, I realize. Make sure I have your address. Give me some time, and I'm sure I can find one.

I would hate for you to spend over $300 and find it doesn't work for you! If I have to, I will take sample containers over to Saks and get them filled up. I am a very good customer!

The creme is fab on me, but I know all skin is different. I have been using it since it was introduced. One cool thing about the cream is that it really does heal. It seems counterintuitive, but when I used to break out, I would put the cream on the blemish, and away it went!

Fortunately now, the creme is part of my cocktail, so I'm putting a well-rounded "diet" on my skin. I sure love it.

Andrea Arevalo said...

hello! Does La Mer is only for dry skin? What If i have oily skin, is there any product suitable for me? my body skin is indeed dry, is there any product i can benefit from? thanks for your advice...

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joyas,

La Mer does make products for people who don't have dry skin. For example, they make an Oil Absorbing Lotion, an oil-free version of the La Mer lotion (which is not as heavy as the creme).

Check out their Web site, under Crème and you will see the possibilities for your face.

They also make body products that are "the cat's meow."

Rashim said...

The Concentrate sounds amazing and I was wondering if this product could help lighten my acne scars?
Thank You :)

Charlestongirl said...

Adam,

I don't know the answer to that. Although it's very healing, it may not help with scarring that already exists.

Have you talked to a dermatologist about the acne and the scars? There are so many new medicines available, it would be best to get professional advice.

Rashim said...

I see, but I think I will invest in it anyways because my skin tends to inflame a lot and I need something which helps to calm it down :)By any chance have you tried Cle De Peau skincare? I was thinking about using Cle De Peau during the day time and La Mer during the night time.
Take Care :)

Charlestongirl said...

Adam,

I have not used Clé de Peau skin care (only samples). It is reputed to be excellent, but I think there are more effective products for the money. Clé de Peau is very expensive (not that La Mer isn't!).

I think you may be a perfect candidate for a prescription cream or gel, which you could overlay with an oil-free moisturizer for day. Make sure you select a product that won't irritate your already irritated skin. Check out the Olay line at the drugstore. Or, have you tried Juice Beauty?

Rashim said...

I see, eh I have a bad habit of not really willing to try durgstore products and no I haven't tried Juice Beauty products. As a skincare junkie I have a hard time choosing a line or a product. Currently I am debating on La Mer, Cle De Peau, or Armani Beauty skincare. How do you like your Creme Nera Extrema serum? Would you recommend it for someone with oily skin at 17? Also have you tried Amore Pacific products? I feel like I can find botanicals products for way less.
Take care :)