Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Why I Can't Live without Creme de la Mer

La Mer, as it's known to its legion of devotees, is my miracle moisturizer. I have never found a better moisturizing product.

That's not to say that it's my one and only skin treatment product. In fact, it's the whipped cream on top of my chocolate and raspberry napoleon. Call me crazy, but here's the routine.

We have to describe morning and night separately, so today we will start with morning. After cleansing with Kinerase or Lireac cleanser and applying an eye cream, I apply Radiance, a terrific product that contains 15% Argireline® (Acetyl Hexapeptide-3) and 10% Matrixyl® 3000 (Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-3 & Tetrapeptide-7) to help reduce the depth of lines and wrinkles. Argireline® and Matrixyl® 3000 are combined with 10% hyaluronic acid to help the skin hold moisture to create an intensive skin rejuvenation treatment. I have tried multiple products with Matrixyl 3000, and this is my favorite. I follow this with La Mer Concentrate, a serum that builds the "foundation" for Creme de la Mer. My dry skin slurps anything I put on it, so the use of these two treatment products actually allows me to use less cream.

The final application is Creme de la Mer. I put a drollop in my palm, blend it down with my finger, and pat it all over my face and neck. Any left over gets wiped onto my chest - I don't want to waste a precious drop! Once I finish, my skin is dewy and young, not dry and tired, a miracle in my book. Even without a stingy application, my foundation applies beautifully and stays put. My base products have changed over time, but the finish with Creme de la Mer never does - it's a keeper.

For those of you whose skin isn't as dry as mine, La Mer makes a lotion and assorted other products tailored to various skin types--great alternatives for summer. Head over the the La Mer Web site or visit your favorite department store and see if you can talk your way into a sample. It's the gold standard of creams! Extra added benefit? It heals burns, bug bites, skin irritation, and even blemishes. I know it seems counterintuitive to put a moisturizer on top of a blemish, but it works.

Photo courtesy of La Mer.

5 comments:

Bari said...

pI love the idea of layering Creme de la Mer to make it stretch. I carry a sample, and actually pat a little on over my foundation and on my crows feet if I'm getting dry late in the day to look all dewy again.

1955nurse said...

I have LONG lusted after this - the cream, serum, ANYTHING - but since I'm such a product - aholic I never seem to be able to afford it! I'm still hoping to try - because I then remain loyal to products that WORK the way they SAY they will! (I dearly love 'Hope in a tube' eye cream and tho I may TRY others, I always come back to my fav!

Charlestongirl said...

1955Nurse, save up! You are worth the investment. Remember that a little of this cream goes a long way. You put a dab in your palm and, with your finger, spread it around a bit to warm it and make it easier to apply. That makes a little go a long way. I use it every day, and I get about three months out of a jar. E-mail me after you try it; I'd love to know if it lives up to your expectations.

Sonya Quarrier said...

Can you tell me about how long a 1 oz. jar last?
spquarrier20@yahoo.com

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sonya,

If you use it properly, meaning you do the dab in the palm thing, spreading it out and warming it before you apply, a jar should last you 3-4 months. My skin is very dry and laps up whatever goes on first, so I use the La Mer Concentrate (or another serum, like Armani's) before the cream. This helps me use less product - and makes the Creme de la Mer last a long time.